Feeding a Biogas Digester (video)
- Turn off the gas-out valve
- Fit the effluent bucket securely
- Remove lids from the input and output pipes
- Rinse-water, including coffee grinds and expired milk
- This bucket is too full!
- There’s enough here to produce about 15mins cooking gas
- …enough to boil 1Litre of water, or make a coffee
- An equal amount of effluent is displaced
- Turn the gas-out valve back on
- The biogas from this feedstock will be ready in 24 hours
- Effluent is an excellent liquid fertiliser
- …it’s ph neutral, and safe to use on seedlings
- …it smells like fresh cow manure
- I pour it in different places each day
- It’s best to rinse everything so there’s no smells
- This digester is capable of producing over 1 hour’s worth of biogas for cooking each day, if all kitchen scraps are ground into a slurry.
- The collector for this system is only hobby-size; capable of storing 20mins worth of biogas. A larger collector, or more collectors could be added to this system.
Making a Coffee with Biogas (video)